Vinca Beats the Odds

Happy week of Thanksgiving, everyone. If you’re celebrating (and get to do the cooking), hope your fridge is already housing the bird and all the trimmings. Every year I swear I ain’t messin’ with the fine china, but when else will I use it? (Besides, Christmas, that is. I do really love it and–hey, there is no school and no cooking the day after the holiday, so what the heck, right?)

So maybe I’m a geek or a Pollyanna or a ridiculously positive person (RR is shaking his head yes to all three, I’m quite sure), but I am inspired by things that someone else might not even pay attention to.

Every year, I do some flower gardening. (Hubby is the veggie man.) Every year I try to add one more perennial (i.e., type of plant that comes back with little or no help from me), but there’s always room for an annual or two.  This year though, I hit Lowe’s at the end of the season and came back with a bunch of little flowering plants, but none of the impatiens or vinca I normally add.

IDK, I know annuals come from seeds, lol, but the plant is not supposed to come back, correct? Well, I started the season noticing tiny marigold seedlings mixed into the weeds I call grass on the side of the house. Found at least eleven. Transplanted every one where I normally plant them every year. Got a full spread. Every seedling made it to full growth and blooms. Cleared them out a few weekends ago.

We won’t discuss the sunflowers. Haven’t planted those annuals for at least three years now. Go figure.photo (1) That wall behind me gets crazier every year. That’s last summer’s photo. Don’t you love how I hide the hips and thighs behind the poster?

Sunflowers These are now the norm. I promise I planted a few seeds several years back.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I thought I saw a vinca sprout peeking from the edge of a little flower bed under a tree on the side of my house. Not sure if it popped up during a few very warm fall days, but uh, that thing was not supposed to grow at all (even though I did have them there last summer, 2012). Not only should that li’l fighter not have been there in the first place, it should have had full sun. (It was hidden under the crazy mums that come back every year. Found it when I cut back the mums killed by the deeper frosts.) And, the li’l bugger should NEVER have bloomed in early November, AFTER several frosts, a couple of which hit the mid-20s. (Hardy plant or inspiration that, given the right combination of circumstances, pretty much anything can get past the odds?)

vinca in Nov 2013  Crazy!

You know me. I am inspired.

Is it just me? Or have others run into similar experiences?

May you all feel gratitude, Thursday and every day–I know it keeps me peaceful!

Joanna

6 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Carrie Rubin
    Nov 25, 2013 @ 08:35:20

I’m ashamed to admit how little I know about gardening. Just not my thing. I can’t even keep a house plant alive and gave up trying years ago. :)

• anne
      Nov 25, 2013 @ 12:31:58

I love morning glories 1 seed can do so much

• Joanna Aislinn
        Nov 27, 2013 @ 06:45:25

Planted those once. Loved them and how delicate the blooms are. Cleaning them up though, was a big job. Those buggers attach themselves to everything, like ivy (but maybe not as damaging in the long run). Ivy will tear up foundations once it wiggles its way into cracks.

Thanks, Anne!

• Joanna Aislinn
      Nov 27, 2013 @ 06:47:40

Definitely not for everybody, but the return is nice, especially when I have to do less and less for more and more every year. The sunflowers are cool in how they draw yellow finches to my garden–don’t see them otherwise.

Be well and thanks!

2. anne
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 18:19:43

Sunflower lady

3. Joanna Aislinn
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 23:04:51

Somebody has to be. Why not me, lol?

creating balance and finding happiness

Just another WordPress.com site

Kit Dunsmore's Blog

Creating a Handmade Life, One Moment at a Time

My Foray Into Food Storage

A regular gal learning about Food Storage, Home Cooking, Canning, Gardening, and more!

Don Charisma

because anything is possible with Charisma

How the Cookie Crumbles

An irreverant view of life after SIXTY-FIVE

likeachildforjesus

A college [graduate] kid's voice about Christianity.

Stacey Wilk

Where Fantasy and Adventure Collide

roughwighting

Life in a flash - a weekly blog on daily living

A writer of thrillers, suspense and mystery. On the beach.

J.L. Mbewe

Adventures that burn on in the heart.

Life of Kylie

Laugh. Think. Cry.

Scribbler's Playhouse

J.B.Whitmore, writing to The End

frankoshanko

Dancing, laughing, smiling, loving! Freedom of spirit!

RoseAnn DeFranco - Where Laughter, Passion and Love Bloom

Where Laughter, Passion and Love Bloom

kendrafowler

Social Media & Me

Peacefulwife's Blog

The joy of God's design for wives and marriage.

Marji Laine: Faith~Driven Fiction

Bringing Fiction and Faith Together

a {modern} christian woman

~ pursuing God's peace, contentment and joy in everyday living ~

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 490 other followers