On Valentine’s Day! What better way to show love than starting with oneself? Best insurance for sharing this simple yet oh-so-powerful emotion –or for paying it forward!
So direct from my inbox to you I bring author, life coach and proponent of positive parenting Diane Lang. Here are her tips on living life to its most abundant!
According to Diane:
We make life harder then it needs to be. There are so many simple things we can do in our everyday life that would make our lives fuller and richer. We could live a positive lifestyle, it’s a realistic goal. Below I will list many simple ways to add happiness into your daily lifestyle. Make each of these simple things part of your daily lifestyle and see/feel the changes….. It’s easier then you think
1. See the glass half full not half empty – change your perspective/view and the world changes with you
2. Wake up each day with a “Gratitude check” – take the first few minutes of each day to appreciate all the good in your life. Each day remember you woke up, you could see the sun shinning, you have a roof over your head, food to eat, water to drink, air to breathe, friends to talk to and much more.. There is always something to be grateful for, it’s just reminding yourself of it.
3. Flow – each day try to do an activity that you love that life just flows for that time. It could be ten minutes or a few hours but just make sure to add flow into your daily life.
4. Make sure your basic needs are met – did you drink 8-10 glasses of water each day ( not tea, coffee or soda), did you get at least 7-8 hours of sleep, did you eat healthy, exercise, etc. Our cognitive abilities and state of mind depends on our basic needs being met. Make your health a priority.
5. Did you show love today – did you give a hug, a kiss, hold someone’s hand, pat then on the shoulder. If not, then go give a hug ASAP!
6. Thank you – always say thank you to anyone and everyone who deserves it. Also, remember to say Sorry if it’s needed as well. Keep open lines of communication.
7. Be an active listener – no interruptions, be patient and let the person speak, really listen and pause before answering, summarize what they said and ask questions if needed.
8. Be an empathic listener – imagine how the other person is feeling. Put yourself in their shoes.
9. Have a Career not a job – do what you love.
10. Smile, laugh – all are contagious – spread the joy.
11. Step outside your comfort zone today – take a small risk each and everyday.
12. Add variety to your day even small things like taking a new route to work, trying a new food or drink will bring bursts of happiness.
13. Learn – each and everyday did you learn something new? This can be informal learning through discussions, movies, newspapers, current events etc.
14. Stay in touch with your friends and family.
15. Visualize your dreams each and every day. If you can’t see it, you will have trouble reaching it.
16. Take a vacation – refuel and refresh, you will be more productive and creative in both your personal and professional life.
17. Be a great role model – your kids will follow in your shoes.
18. Pay it forward – random acts of kindness each and every day.
19. Perseverance – never give up.
20. Be self-aware – know yourself.
21. Less TV, Cell phones, Internet, Video Games, Social media and more face to face time with loved ones. reconnect with loved ones in person.
22. Forgiveness – forgive for you so you can move forward with your life. Forgive for you not anyone else!
23. The past has some great teachable moments but don’t live in the past.
24. Live in the moment.
25. Plan for the future.
26. Work on what you CAN control in your life. If you can’t control it, let it go.
27. Always ask for help if you need it.
As always, Diane, excellent reminders for me! (I love 18, 19 and 26.) For those of you in the areas below, try to get to one of Diane’s workshops. Always worth the time!